Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7, 2013: Week 64

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!! 44! How old, lol ;)

So this week was crazy, but very fullfilling. It was my first week as senior comp as you know and it was actually not as hard as I thought. Really we just work together as a team and divide it half and half and this week was a great one. First I got to the area, and I'm not going to lie, I thought it was going to be little tough, but I was shown otherwise. I first met the Familia Machado. They're a family of 3. The Hermana, su hija Alexandra and the investigator, the husband Carlos Machado. We had a really good lesson with him about the gospel of Jesus Christ: faith, repentance, baptism, Holy Ghost, endure to the end. It was really great and he accepted (baptismal date) fecha for the 26th of January. To make it even better he came to church for all 3 hours! which is really hard to happen here in Uruguay without a lot of pushing. He is really prepared. It will be great because we will also be baptizing their daughter with him as she's 8.

Second I got to know Victor. He's 17 and wants to change his life. He's already done a lot to fix stuff, since before He did drugs went out to mess around with friends, a lot of really bad stuff, but now he's 100% changed and is ready to accept Christ in his life. He is soo prepared and he reads everything we leave him and more and he is really is applying the Atonement in his life already. He also came to church and has fecha for the 26th of Jan.

Last but not least is Carlos Nuñez. He's 27 and is the boyfriend of a recent convert. Sad part of the story is that she/s 17 and 6 months pregnant...but the good thing is they are still together and want to get married and become an eternal family. He also came to church but the thing with marriage here being a really, really, really long process, He doesn't have a fecha for baptism yet, but soon he will.

Our Branch Pres. is name Marcos Da Rosa. He is a member of around 20 years, but just recently is active. He has a great family of his wife and 5 kids, who's names I can't recall, but I've only known him for a week so I'll figure them out. Only problem is that he's the only active member in the family.... His wife really doesn't have any excuse not to go, just that someone offended her and blah blah blah. We're working with her because they are a great family and should all be in church together. I can't remember her name either...... my mind is blank right now with names but I'll remember them eventually.

Also the most helpful members I've met are the Flia Suarez. It's a family of 9, but 2 don't live there so I don't know them. There's the Dad, I don't know his real name but everyone calls him "El Chino". then there is Sylvana the mom, She's the recent convert, also the Hermano isn't a member, working with him as well, then come the Kids. All daughters! Laura 19, Marcia 17, Keila 15, Camila 13, and Gimena 7. All the girls are super helpful and are always willing to help us in lessons. Also they want to serve missions which is really great and would be a good example for the branch. Really they are the life of the branch. Well other then that there isn't much. Leaders of the church besides the Branch Pres. and the Sociedad de Socorro (Relief Society) don't exist. There is no priesthood besides the Pres and us but we're about to change that.  As you can see we have all Men investigadores. I don't know why but I've just had more success with the men. More open then women I guess ;) lol.

About my comp. He's name is Ernie Rodriguez. He is from Arequipa, Peru and is from a family of 5. Him and his parents and his little brother and sister. He has 7 months in the mission and is a great guy, He works hard and really has a love for the people here. It's going to be great to work with him and be able to help do great things in the branch of Tranqueras. Also for Mom, there were misionaries before, just they both left this change so we "opened" the area because we're both new here. and it's a diferent Elder Lopez. Actually there are 3 in the mission and about 5 Elder Rodriguez.

We'll it's good to hear that your doing good and doing work on the house. I love to see the bathroom when its' done. Sorry you were sick Dad. I was sick for about 1 1/2 months coughing non stop, then it just went away, but it was terrible! ¡Que te mejores! That's cool that we beat Lehi in Basketball, Woot! Also cool that the Seahawks are doing good in the playoffs. I don't know what is Les Mis, but I guess I'll have to see it when I get home... that's what I'm told... good luck in school Mom. You'll do great and remember that you always have your Heavenly Father to help you, I love you.

I have definitely had a great week and have seen a lot of miracles. Tranqueras isn't like what I was told. There are alot of people who are being prepared by the Lord and also those who have already been prepared. I'm grateful that I'm here in this area and I know that I have work to do and people to bring the gospel to. I love this gospel and my Savior. I know that the work I'm doing is helping the Atonement of Christ be a part of these peoples lives. I love you guys and I hope to hear good noticias (news) from you as always.

With tons of love,
Elder Jordan Duke

No comments:

Post a Comment